Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pleasure and Pain

We will start with the pain...












































Thursday started off pretty good with a visit to the doctor for Alivia's four month visit. We found out that she is quite advanced for a little baby and that she has graduated from the 45th percentile in length to the 55th- can I get a what what! She is now 24 1/2 inches, 14 lbs. 11 oz. (75th percentile), and has a respectable 75th percentile head.

As soon as the doctor's visit was over we gave Alivia some baby Tylenol and headed over to the Public Health Department for the dreaded vaccinations. As you can see from the blotchy red face of the baby and the pouty face of the mom, neither of them took it very well. The good news is that Alivia won't get any diseases- I think if she could just understand that point she would complain a lot less about getting the shots.

All's well that ends well- look how happy she is at the end of the day.

Now for the pleasure...

Friday was the long awaited and much anticipated trip to the Tracy Aviary in Salt Lake. It started with a fantastic bird show hosted by some of the greatest showmen Utah has ever seen. There were dead mice being eaten, ginormous birds flying inches above our heads and a Golden Eagle which if it hadn't been shot 20 years ago and lost the ability to fly could have carried Alivia off to his nest (like the big bird in the Rescuers Down Under).

We then moved on to look at some of the birds from around the world. Here we have Alexis gazing longingly at her friends the flamingos. She just loves them.

This is my sister and I chanting U.S.A. and pumping our fists. You may not understand why until you look closely and see the magnificent Bald Eagles in the background. They are awesome to see up close.

What a tender moment shared between my sister and my wife feeding the captive aviators while all the while I was behind them singing feed the birds from Mary Poppins. Good times.

I saw this little kid feeding a duck out of his hand so I thought I would try to feed Daffy Duck here. It was the funniest feeling in the world- that little beak pecking at my hand- me and Daffy became quite close in those brief moments that we spent together.

Little Alivia had a great time at the Aviary-she was a bit drugged up the whole time but look how happy she is. I don't get to spend many mornings with her so I am always amazed at just how awesome she is. You will also notice that she and I have the same dimple on our left cheek. You might not actually notice that since I am not in the picture but you can just take my word for it.

Throw in many hours of watching the Olympics and it was an exciting couple of days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I HATE the shots they are aweful!
What a little cutie and I still can't get enough of those baby thighs!