Friday, May 25, 2012

The Level II Nursery

So, here's the story of Embry's dramatic last couple days spent at the hospital... It all started with her doing this weird little shiver thing like every minute and they would last for a second and it kind of creeped me out. But, my AMAZING nurse, Jeana, (seriously I loved her and Matt and I both had all of these crazy connections with her - ANYWAY) she told me it was just because she has an immature nervous system and it's totally normal and it will go away. So I wasn't worried. 

Unfortunately, Jeana had to leave me at 6 p.m. and that's when crazy nurse Terry took over... She was really nice, but she kept trying to find things wrong with Embry. It was driving me nuts! When she saw Embry do the little shiver thing - she freaked and had her blood sugar level tested - it was low - which I could have told you that - she hadn't eaten in a while. So I fed her and she was fine. 

Anyway, the next night I had Terry again and I made the mistake of telling her that she had puked up a tiny spot of blood - which was most likely MINE - since I was sore from nursing. Well, this bit of info. sent Terry through a loop and she was calling the doctor non stop and telling me my baby probably had a HEART PROBLEM! What!?! This led to the doctors freaking out and then they wanted to monitor her overnight. While they monitored her, they saw her heart rate and oxygen level drop for like a second and then come back up. This was very alarming to them. So they decided she needed to go to the level 2 nursery and have every test done to her. On top of that, she wasn't allowed to eat for a day to make sure her gut wasn't bleeding. My poor baby was STARVING! I was so upset! 

After she was finally allowed to eat again - I had to go home without her - most depressing day ever. Luckily, you can stay at the hospital for $35 a night - which I did so I could feed her at night. My mom, Matt and I took turns staying with her at the hospital. So she spent two extra days in the Level 2 nursery getting pricked on the foot a billion times, having endless amount of blood taken from her body, and having 3 different IVs put in. After a stomach x-ray, chest x-ray, and head ultrasound - they could find NOTHING! The nurses were even confused as to why she was in there. She was such an amazing eater from day 1 and she looked completely fine. She was finally allowed to come home on Mother's Day and we were given no explanations as to why weird things were happening to her - other than it was baffling, but she's fine now... I mean I'm glad that they took everything seriously and made 100% sure she's okay - but so much of it felt like an over reaction. If I didn't have c-sections, we would have already been home before Nurse Terry started on her mission to find something wrong with my baby. But, I'm not at all bitter...

I hate this picture. This was taken the morning we were supposed to be leaving - but instead they decided to move her to the Level 2 nursery and keep her a couple extra days so they could run every test imaginable on her. I was not okay this day.

Matt started to get sick when she was born - of course! - so he was forced to wear this mask when we visited her.

Head ultrasound


 Here was her set up in the nursery

 I hated seeing her poor little bruised hands and arms from the IV

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, that poor, sweet baby. What a scary ordeal! I'm glad she's okay and home. And poor you! What an emotional roller coaster to ride when you're recovering from major surgery!!