Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The day the dentist won...

The Doc
vs.

The Dentist

Although I'm sure that the doctor and dentist always have the best of intentions (except for the weirdies), their appointments are always the most dreaded. But people usually don't hate both, it's one or the other. Matt, for example, hates the doctor. He refuses to see the doctor unless he's sliced his arm open and needs 13 stitches, which actually happened a week after he complained about having health insurance that he "doesn't need." I, however, have always hated the dentist. And now that he's my father-in-law, it makes for a very complicated situation!

Anywho, I've felt that I would always be able to count on hating the dentist and not the doctor; but today, the doctor's appointment took a tragic turn for the worse.

The good news: I'm dilated to a one! And the doctor decided to move my inducing date up a week because Alivia is measuring a little bit bigger, but it's probably more due to the fact that I kept begging him to induce me TODAY!

The bad news: how he obtained this information. Today was the first day that he started to check dilation - WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! Although I kept a brave face - I was thinking, "If I can barely handle this, HOW THE FREAK AM I GOING TO HANDLE LABOR!"

Anywho, he also felt her head today. She's head down which is good, but she's not committed, she moved once he touched her - so now we need to start having pep talks with her -

COMMIT ALIVIA, COMMIT!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel for you! Getting "checked" isn't a fun experience. I just pray that you have had bad cramps before, only because if you havn't I think the contractions will be a little harder. If you are getting an epidural your birth will be a breeze. Just hope that your mom didn't have fast deliveries only so you will have time to get that epi!

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

Hey congrats on the one. I remember when I went to my 34 week and I was a 3 iit didn't hurt that bad so just know that it will only get better (the checking part). And for the delivery if you get an epidural you wont feel a thing. I kept thinking shouldn't this hurt.

Kelli said...

i had to get a root canal when i was 6 months pregnant and still would have taken that over the whole "checking" business. i HATED that crap! i'm not going to lie... before the epidural labor 100% sucks - but once i had it i was cracking jokes and having a grand old time! hopefully you can convince alivia to commit!!!

Stacy said...

My friend told me to take a warm lavendar bath, as warm as you can stand, and to have Steve rub my ankles. She said it's a pressure point that helps labor come on. Anyway so I did and the next day we were in the hospital. I don't know if that helped but I'd definetely do it again. And walk, a lot. Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well for you!

Alyssa said...

Wow, I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see this cute baby!

Anonymous said...

The 10th....

Unknown said...

Hey I set my blog to private email me at michaelandbrandierickson@hotmail.com

Jenna said...

Alexis, all I have to say about the cervix checks is, "I concur." I actually screamed out "MOTHER OF PEARL!" the first time I got one. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole hospital heard it. At least I didn't use a profanity.

You are so close, and I'm jealous your doctor is willing to induce you. Lucky!

Unknown said...

You did it baby! WOO! You are the best!