Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Death Defying Boy

(Should have been posted 7/17/11...)

This kid is CRAZY! I thought that having a boy might be a teeny tiny bit different than having a girl because Liv was already pretty intense, but Adam is OUTSIDE OF CONTROL! Everyday Adam finds some new way to cheat death - or to attempt death and have us save him :) One day Matt sincerely asked me if it's possible for a toddler to be suicidal...

Anyway there have been a couple crazy happenings in the last couple weeks that I wanted to write down before I forget. Both events happened while my family was in town for the 4th of July.

1st Incident: The [ALMOST] Drowning Disaster

We were all at the pool with my mom checking out Liv's new floating tricks (more to come on her swim lesson soon) when my little nephew Jake jumped in the pool and made a huge splash. All of a sudden I look to the right of Jake and there is Adam just under the water with his little arms floating outward not even moving. Scariest. Sight. EVER. I hurried over to him which seemed like FOREVER, and got him out and handed him to my mom. Then, he didn't even cough or choke up any water! He just held on to my mom super tight and was scared and pale. He had slipped into the pool without any splash at all getting on his stomach first and then scooting backward into the water - then he held his breath the whole time! What!?!? It was insane. Then, of course, I was convinced he was going to dry drown - which apparently didn't really happen to that one boy in 2008 and very rarely happens - but still, the boy slept in our room that night and I made sure he was alive about every 10 minutes. He was totally fine - but it was a healthy dose of fear for Matt and I to be extra EXTRA careful with this water loving fearless child.

Should have stayed in this thing, Boy! It was for your own good!!!

All pale after almost drowning. Poor little buddy.


2nd Incident: The [ALMOST] Kidnapping

The next night we were at the Stadium of Fire fireworks at the field across the MTC with my whole family having fun. It became super dark and the kids started playing with these little glow bracelets my mom got them. I looked over at Adam and he had bitten into his bracelet and glow stuff was getting everywhere. I asked Matt to grab him and take care of it. Then one second later I look up and Adam is nowhere to be found while Matt is covered in glow stuff he was trying to wipe off. My entire family got up and started calling out his name - like a little 16-month-old is going to come running... I almost lost it immediately but just took off down the field where we were joined by hundreds of people. It was so dark - I was panicking and then I got like 20 yards away from where we were sitting and I ran right into some kind stranger holding Adam. I just took him while my eyes filled with tears. I felt so blessed that I was led right to him! But I don't know how I'm going to survive the rest of his life like this! This kid is a jet! He just takes off at the most opportune time. Right when Matt and I are looking down for a SECOND, he goes running! I don't know how I'm going to survive a little boy!

Playing with Pata before getting almost kidnapped...

The family back together again :)

No comments: