Saturday, April 12, 2008

The hospital



On Wednesday we got called up at 6:30 AM and they told us that we needed to be at the hospital at 7:30. As soon as we got to the hospital they had Alexis lay down and went ahead and gave her an IV. Her first one ever! Like half an hour later her OB/GYN came in and broke her water. It was really happening. We asked when she should get her epidural and he said she might as well do it right away because it would take a while to take effect. Not long after the epidural took effect, the contractions started and Alexis never even felt any pain.







Most of the day was spent just like this...me eating wheat thins, fruit roll ups and cookies, while Alexis just laid there all numb and puking up anything that touched her stomach (mainly blue gatorade). Good times.







After hours and hours of contractions and check after check by the nurses, things weren't progressing as well as we had hoped. Dilation was happening but the baby needed more oxygen so Alexis was forced to have this mask...she really liked it.







After a while we realized that Alexis was losing quite a bit of blood. The doctor and nurses thought that the placenta may be detaching and it became a race against time. To add to the problems the baby was posterior (not breech), so her head was facing up rather than down like it is supposed to. The doctor said that as long as Alexis was fully dilated that he could twist the baby around and deliver safely. Time kept passing and Alexis just wasn't dilating all the way on one side so the decision was made that we couldn't wait any longer...we had to have a C-section. I don't know if you can tell, but this is the most scared I have ever been in my life...





15 minutes after the decision was made we had our beautiful baby girl and Alexis was being stitched up. Alivia Maria Wiseman was born at 6:06 PM on April 9th. She was 7 lbs 2 oz. and 19 1/2 inches.

6 comments:

Gary & Kolleen Bolingbroke said...

YAY! Congratulations!! I have been checking your blog like crazy hoping little Alivia finally made her grand entrance! Glad she is here and hope everyone is doing well!!

Gary & Kolleen Bolingbroke said...

OK - this is Kelli... sorry, I'm logged in under my parents name. oops!

Alyssa said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, it sounds like you went through a lot! I'm so glad that you are both doing well, Congrats on your baby girl!
By the way, Alivia is a beautiful name!

Unknown said...

Oh Sweetie...I am so sorry you had to have your body numb and be throwing up not to mention the c section all in one day:( But all bad things do end and what a beautiful baby! A perfect little combo of both parents. I was updated a lot by G-Boley so I felt like I was there...you were in our prayers and Can you believe she is finally here to LOVE!

austinmcraig said...

Congratulations! Hope everything is going well for all three of you.